Success research information
The inspiration behind the service is the desire to
help as many young people stay on track to becoming extremely
successful in life.
- The founder of the company has personally tried dozens of free and paid career tests when it comes to trying to find the ideal career path.
- In college, he followed the advice of conventional wisdom. 'Get a college degree and you are on your way.' He discovered that advice by itself will only get you so far. Since he did not find the clarity he sought, he did his own research with the goal of making career identification easier for others.
- Alison Doyle wrote in About.com, "that career tests can give you ideas about what you possibly should do... rather than pondering what you want to do." The goal of our service is to help you figure out how to connect the things you want to do with professions that pay a six figure income.
The premise behind the service is based on over 30
years of research from the University of Rochester professor Edward Deci and his colleagues on the concept of
- The concept of intrinsic motivation is also supported by the work of MIT management professor Karim Lakhani, Professor Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Harvard Business School professor Teresa Amabile.
- These pioneers as well as other scholars have concluded that "Goals that people set for themselves, that are devoted to obtaining mastery are usually healthy..But, goals imposed by others can sometimes have dangerous side effects." That is why this entire process is designed to help teens through a path of self-discovery.
- More recently, others
have identified evidence of intrinsic motivation being most productive. Since intrinsic motivation is most productive, our goal is to help young people discover it.
The Self Discovery survey is the result of six years of trial and error with over one hundred teens. First we identified the top paying professions and created a list of questions designed to identify the skills and interest connected to those high paying professions. We used the following resources in putting together the survey and the open ended questions:
- I Could do Anything, If I only Knew What It Was Barbara Sher
- You Majored in What? Dr. Katharine Brooks
- Success Mapping, Achieve What You want…. Right Now! Arlene Johnson
- Now,Discover Your Strengths Marcus Buckingham and Donald Clifton
- The Purpose Driven Life Rick Warren
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics
The Sef Discovery Coaching service is the result of over 10 years of research on personal achievement from experts who have committed collectively over 100 years of research on the subject. We have gone through 6 years of trial and error on specific action items assigned to various teens in the Rochester, NY area. One such teen went from a 0.65 grade point average to making the National Honor Society. Ideas and suggestions for this sections comes from a collection of resources such as:
- Successful Intelligence, How Practical and Creative Intelligence Determine Success In Life Dr. Robert J Sternburg
- Talent Is Overrated, What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else Geoff Colvin
- Outliers Malcolm Gladwell
- Rediscovering The Greatest Human Strength, Will Power Dr. Roy Baumester and John Tierney
- The Real Truth About Success, (What the top 1% do differently, why they won't tell you, and how you can do it anyway!) Garrison Wynn
- Destructive Emotions, How Can We Overcome Them? Dr. Daniel Golemand and the Dalai Lama
- How to Succeed in Business, Straight Talk on Making It In America Earl Graves
Other research material used include the following:
- Why Do They Act That Way, A survival Guide to the
Adolescent Brain for You and Your Teen. Dr. David Walsh—
- The Schools Our Children Deserve Alfie Kohn
- A Mind At A Time Dr. Mel Levine
- The Black White Achievement Gap Former Secretary of Education Rod Paige
- Top of the Class, How Asian Parents Raise
High Achievers-and How You Can Too Dr. Soo Kim Abboud and Jane Kim
- Multiple Intelligence Dr. Howard Gardner
- Soar With Your Strenghths Donald Clifton & Paula Nelson
- Intelligence and Cultural Environment Dr. Phillip E Vernon
- Drive, The Surprising Truth About What motivates Us Daniel H Pink
- Social Intelligence, The Revolutionary New Science Of Human Relationships Dr. Daniel Goleman
- The Millionaire Mind Dr. Thomas Stanley
- Do You Russell Simmons
- What Makes The Great Great Dr. Denise Kimbro
- The Millionaire's Path Mark Fisher with Mark Allen
- The $100,000 Club D.A Benton
- How To Be Rich J. Paul Getty
- The Now Habit Dr. Neil Fiore
- 32 Ways To Be A Champion in Business Earvin "Magic" Johnson
- Make the Impossible Possible Bill Strickland
- The Art Of Possibility Rosamund Stone Zander & Benjamin Zander